Alpine Walking & Hiking Trails Open
Thanks in part to the fantastic weather we have been receiving lately the Whistler Blackcomb Alpine Trails have been fully opened to the public. Some of the trails have been open since mid-June but last Saturday marked the first time all of the walking, hiking and running trails were opened.
Arthur Dejong of Mountain Planning and Environmental Resources recently said, "We are actually two weeks ahead of schedule compared to last year. Warm weather this past spring, and so far this summer, has quickened the snow melt process in the alpine, resulting in early trail openings and a longer alpine hiking season. We are even seeing alpine flowers starting to bloom already, which is much earlier than we saw last year,"
For anyone looking to view the amazing Alpine Wildflowers they are starting to bloom and will be in their prime starting this week until the end of August. Blackcomb Mountain is the best place to view the wildflowers, particularly near Lakeside Loop and Overlord Trail.
Whistler Blackcomb offers over 50 Kilometers of walking, hiking and running trails at over 6000 feet. To help guests find their way around, Whistler Blackcomb has developed a new set of summer Alpine Wonder Routes. These trails are a vast network of tours, trails, waypoints and stops created to help guests navigate the area and customize their own tour. Check out the summer Alpine Wonder Routes below.
- Alpine Vista Route - The Alpine Vista Route takes guests up the Whistler Village Gondola where they can then board the record-breaking PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola for a lofty journey over the treetops and across the Fitzsimmons Valley to Blackcomb Mountain. From there guests can board two open-air chair lifts for a relaxing trip down to Blackcomb Mountain's Upper Village.
- Top of the World Route - This route takes advanced hikers to the highest points on both Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains, can take up to a full day to complete, and boasts panoramic glacier views in all directions.
- Running the Rooftop Route - This 10km single track route starts at the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler Mountain and is a dedicated running route offering breathtaking views of Cheakamus Lake and the surrounding peaks of Garibaldi Provincial Park. Recommended for advanced runners who have trail running experience. Runners should also be aware of hikers as they are also permitted on this route.
- Alpine Lakes Loop - This intermediate level hiking trail starts on Blackcomb Mountain's Alpine Walk and flows through a stunning palette of colorful wildflowers and Blackcomb Lake before circling back to the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola where the loop continues on Whistler Mountain's Harmony Lake Trail.
- Overlord Vista - This challenging full-day hike covers some of Blackcomb and Whistler's longest hiking trails; Overlord, Decker Loop and High Note Trail. The route offers stunning views of the Overlord Glacier, volcanic Black Tusk, Cheakamus Lake and the mountains' various wildlife.
Getting Up There
All of Whistler Blackcomb's Alpine Trails must be accessed via the Wizard Express Gondola (Blackcomb) or the Whistler Village Gondola (Whistler). In order to get on the gondola's you must purchase a Sightseeing Pass from the mountain. Luckily Whistler Blackcomb is running a phone in promotion in which you can call them and purchase a day pass that is good for two days of sightseeing. The 2 for 1 pass has to be purchased over the phone (1-888-403-4727) and costs: $46.95 adult, $23.95 child, $39.95 senior.
For a complete look at the Whistler Blackcomb trail system head on over to the WB Hiking and Sightseeing webpage.
Looking for accommodations for the summer?
Choose from our three condominium style hotels, located in Whistler's Creekside Village. All of our wonderful hotels are located just minutes away from the Whistler & Blackcomb Gondola's that provide direct access to the Alpine Trails.
Contact us for more information and reservations.